If you are lucky enough to have great vision, you probably have only ever had your eyes examined by pediatricians and school nurses while you were a child. These routine exams are done annually for babies and children to check for any eye abnormalities. If abnormalities are found, the child is referred to the appropriate eye doctor for further examination.
There are two types of eye doctors that are commonly confused and sometimes used interchangeably: ophthalmologists and optometrists.
At Manning, Rommel & Thode Associates, located right here in Lancaster, PA, all of our doctors are board certified ophthalmologists. An ophthalmologist is qualified to offer complete medical and surgical eye care services, including:
- Medical eye care – Ophthalmologists can diagnose and treat patients with glaucoma, iritis, and chemical burns.
- Surgical care – Such doctors can correct crossed eyes, glaucoma, cataracts, trauma, and other vision problems with surgery.
- Diagnosis and treatment – They diagnose and treat eye conditions that can be related to other diseases, such as diabetes and arthritis
- Vision services – Type of eye doctor that can give routine eye exams to their patients.
An optometrist is certified to take care of basic eyecare and detect diseases, disorders and injuries related to the eyes. Optometrists often refer to Ophthalmologists for specialized eye care needs.
- Vision services – Optometrists complete routine eye exams and vision tests on their patients.
- Treatment –nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism.
- Vision care – They can provide eyeglass prescriptions and fittings, as well as contact lenses to their patients.
- Vision therapy – Optometrists can provide a variety of vision therapies for their patients, including low-vision aids and eye exercises.
Based on the American Academy of Ophthalmology, adults should see an eye doctor if they experience blurred vision or other eye dysfunctions. Once an eye exam is completed, your eye doctor will determine how frequently you should return for follow-up examinations. If you have never experienced discomfort or trouble with your vision by the time you are 40, we recommend you schedule a comprehensive eye exam to assess your vision health. If you have certain health conditions or family history, such as glaucoma, corneal diseases or macular degeneration, you should attend more regular visits with your eye doctor.
Now that you know how often you should plan on visiting the eye doctor, you may be wondering what services we provide here at Manning, Rommel & Thode Associates.
Among our vision services, we specialize in the following categories:
- Cataract Surgery – This is the one of the most common and safest surgeries performed in the country. In year 2018 alone, we successfully removed cataracts from over 2,000 patients! Through the use of top-notch medical technology, our doctors leave you feeling relaxed and comfortable during this surgery.
- Medical Laser Surgery – Lasers can be used to quickly and safely create small spaces in various parts of the eye to let more light in, resulting in clearer vision, or to reduce the amount of eye pressure.
- Laser Vision Correction – This popular procedure can reduce or even eliminate nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism. More than 92% of people who rely on glasses or contacts to help them see are candidates for this procedure.
- Routine Eye Care – We offer annual routine eye exams to ensure proper eye health. During such visits, our doctors can update your glasses or contact lens prescriptions based on the health of your eyes and vision. Patients with glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy or macular degeneration will require regular follow-up care to treat these medical eye conditions effectively.
Manning, Rommel & Thode Associates offers the best eye care in the Lancaster, PA area. We take pride in our combined knowledge and are committed to the highest standards of care, treatment and surgical innovation. Contact us at (717) 393-7980 to schedule a consultation or eye exam with us today. We are proud to serve the Lancaster, PA region and look forward to seeing you soon.